Saturday 3 December 2016

2016 (A.K.A. The Year I Turned 21)

Image Credit: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/60728294948506728/ 

As I sit down to write this, I'm telling myself that it won't turn into a summary of the year, but even as I type this sentence, I sense that that's what it will become. Meh.

My 21st birthday was almost two weeks ago, and I had a really good time. Fairly low key - my family came at the weekend and I had friends over in the evening, but it was a celebration that was very 'me' and I loved it. But now, almost two weeks later, it's finally starting to occur to me that I'm twenty-one. I'm twenty-something. I'm now in my twenties. And that is one of the weirdest things ever. I think everyone, when they're younger, dreams of the day they turn 21, but a small part of me never really thought that day would come. I never really thought too closely about where I'd be and what I'd be doing when I turned 21.

And yet, here I am. In society's terms, I'm a fully fledged adult, but I still feel the same as I did at 17. I guess I'm just having a little epiphany as I write this. I'm 21.

I keep seeing this quote all over the place, and I never really thought too much about it until I saw it again the other day - 'It's the oldest story in the world. One day, you're seventeen and planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life.' After a Google search, I've been informed that this is from One Tree Hill (which I've never seen), but I think that it's so true. My entire life, I've been working towards going to university. And now here I am. But not only am I here, I'm in my final year. I'm nearly done. And yet I still feel like I've just started. The opportunity has almost passed me by without my even noticing. And I guess that's just how life goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment