Monday 22 May 2017

Review: Black Widow by Chris Brookmyre


I had every intention of writing a post this week about my overall university experience, but since I only finished yesterday, I haven't really had a chance to process the fact that I have actually finished university forever. I really don't know how I feel about that yet.

As a result, I'm going to rely on my favourite subject instead - books. Finishing university means that I get to read all of my own books again, and I'm so excited.

Black Widow is not a book that I brought myself, it was a gift from my aunt, and therefore I knew absolutely nothing about it. I've never personally heard of Chris Brookmyre, but from what I can tell, he is an extremely successful author, and I can see why. I really enjoyed this book. I'm very into detective fiction at the moment anyway, having finally moved on from the dystopian fiction hype that I was on a couple of years ago.

The detective in question here is Jack Parlabane, who has been in trouble in the past and therefore has to tread carefully when it comes to investigating cases, especially high-profile ones such as the case in this novel. It wasn't until I'd finished it that I discovered that Black Widow is actually the seventh Jack Parlabane novel, but this one works perfectly well as a stand-alone, and therefore I'll presume that all the others are too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this - the story didn't release all the information at once, it slowly worked up to the big reveal at the end, and therefore you feel a sense of completion and finality that you don't get with some detective novels. The story twisted and turned all the way through so the suspects kept changing, and when it eventually came together, it was brilliant.

Highly, highly recommend this. I will certainly be checking out the others in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment